Strategic Planning and Capacity Building for States and Other Education Organizations
RBS has often been called upon by state departments of education and school districts for help in analyzing the outcomes of current practices, determining needs for improvement, and strategically planning new programs and policies. RBS staff serve as members and provide support for the operations and products of such improvement planning groups. RBS can help to develop relevant organizational capacity and locate other expertise and resources needed for the improvement effort. RBS has also engaged in this role with state systems of higher education, universities, and other improvement agencies. RBS' areas of expertise include reading and language arts, mathematics, science, technology, career education, early childhood education, special education, individualized instruction, assessment, and curriculum.
Improvement Assistance in Design, Implementation, Coordinating Resources, Professional Development, and Assessment
Once an improvement program has been designed, RBS is available to assist in the various stages of implementation. This assistance includes the following activities:
- Designing specific improvement activities, agendas, and materials
- Conducting the activities including recruiting participants and leaders, facilitating events, documenting the process and outcomes
- Reviewing, selecting, and obtaining resource materials
- Preparing and staffing professional development events including protocols, presenters, outreach to participants, and documentation
- Conducting needs assessments; interpreting needs, student, and program assessment results; and enhancing understanding of the role of assessment in the classroom
Reporting and Dissemination
Improvement initiatives require documentation in order to manage the process effectively, evaluate the outcomes, and share the results with both participants and stakeholder audiences. RBS staff can track the efforts, design and conduct an evaluation, and prepare and disseminate the products.
Sample School Improvement Projects
For more information, contact Dr. Keith Kershner.